Saturday, April 6, 2013

Movie Review: Chashme Baddoor…bad bad bad..stay dooor!!!


 

Yeah..I’ll admit it..my blog title for this one is a sad pun on the name of the movie but its entirely an intentional move. Its to give you some idea of the low standard cinema you are bound to receive if you still decide to go for this movie despite my repeated warnings (this being only the first of many)

I honestly don’t know what the hooplah is all about. All that talk of David Dhawan ‘being back’ when he serves us such trash frankly boggles the mind. Remember Rascals?? (I sincerely hope you don’t)..well, consider this one only a tad better..and that lone fragment of respect comes only because there are a few chuckles to be had in the second half of the movie

David Dhawan has never really been known for high quality cinema. However, in his ‘Govinda golden period’ he at least had the ability to make us laugh, genuinely laugh to be more specific, as an audience. Either I have matured too much as a viewer or standards have fallen too sharply but to me there is nothing even marginally comedic about his offerings these days. I bring this up only because I saw this in PVR Cinemas (supposedly the ‘classy’ audience) and the majority seemed to be in splits over scenes and writing that was so sad it could actually be described as cringe-worthy…so you figure it out

I don’t know how you found the original movie in the first place. To me it was strictly okay and in fact, pretty sad compared to gems like Chupke Chupke  and Golmaal (let me be very clear - the original one starring Amol Palekar). Considering that as the inspiration, the new-age Chashme Buddoor can at best be described as a fairly faithful remake that’s marginally watchable but definitely not hall-worthy

The only reason this drivel works to a moderate extent is because of the collective efforts of the 3 main leads who try their utmost (sometimes in fact too much) to make ordinary or rather low quality writing work magic. Well, the tricks fall flat and to spoil the party further, our female lead stumbles on most of her dialogues as well. Rishi Kapoor is wasted in a role that he could perform well with his eyes closed and while Anupam Kher does a good job, he is let down by everything else – the writing, his character, the works.

The emphasis in the entire movie is on over-doing things and coupled with pathetic writing, it makes for a bad combination. The lone thing this movie does well, is re-create the original with Chamko and filmy rescue intact. That and the handful of decent sequences in the second half make this movie somewhat bearable

I didn’t expect to do it so soon, but I actually found myself comparing this movie to Kya Super Kool Hain Hum in terms of which insulted the audience’s mental capacities more. In a line, 'Dum nahi hai boss' (a line you will be able to amply relate to if you do see this one despite all my warnings)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...