Saturday, April 26, 2014

Movie Review: Revolver Rani..shoots far off the mark



Okay so I have no idea what the director was going for with this. I guess this is what happens when you make decisions in haste. So concerned was I after all the brickbats I received from my loyal followers for not having seen 2 States (the reason, in my defence, was that I had read the book and not liked it all that much and the movie would be pretty much the same) that I was worried about making the same mistake twice in a row. So…I booked tickets for Revolver Rani. As it turns out, that was the real mistake

Revolver Rani is best enjoyed when it doesn’t try to take itself too seriously. Don’t go for plot, logic, any sense of direction to the storyline and you might be able to watch it for Kangana’s powerful performance showcasing her versatility in a role that is a far cry from Queen and the fair bit of comedy that is introduced into otherwise senseless proceedings. Other than that, the Revolver’s chambers are empty – all six of them

A classy opening credits gives way to Ram Gopal Varma (not of the Sarkar vintage but the Aag variety) like sequences that suddenly erupt in ways more comical than exciting. Kangana’s Max Payne like shooting in multiple sequences doesn’t help matters and one isn’t sure what the director is looking to portray with her character. Add to that her shrieking and howling like her pre-Queen days and the circle is complete. There are precisely two smart sequences in an otherwise banal plot – one in the first half and one in the second – both of which end up being comical and fun. If only more of the movie was like that

As it stands though the movie doesn’t end up showing a true picture of Kangana’s character till the very end – the fearless hero, the tragic hero, the trapped hero, the action hero – all get inter-mingled and you leave the theater with no clarity on what was intended to be portrayed, if anything at all. Guns, shooting, killing, drinking, smoking all get glorified in this pointless tale

The plethora of songs only prolong the misery though the background score is apt and suits the context.I found myself recalling Matru Ki Bijlee..and idly wondering which of these movies was worse, though I thought Matru still wins that Razzie award

If you are a real Kangana fan you might still want to give it a shot despite all my misgivings. My advice though is to take shelter and hide till the Rani has fired all her rounds and left the scene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...